Age: 18 months – 3 years
Skills: Scientific knowledge of solids and liquids, improves motor skills and perseverance.
What you need:
- a bowl
- a freezer
- small plastic fish
- blue food colouring
How to make:
- Fill 1/3rd of your bowl with water. Sprinkle in a few of your plastic fish. Freeze in the freezer for 2 hours.
- Take out your frozen water. Pour in another third of water. Add blue food colouring and glitter. Throw in some more plastic fish. Freeze in the freezer for 2 hours.
- Take out your two layers of frozen water and fill with the last third of water. Add your plastic fish and any left over glitter. Freeze for a final two hours.
- Take out. To get it out of the bowl hold under the hot tap for a few moments. Let it slip out and place on your tuff tray or on a large tray, making sure that when it melts there is enough room to catch the melted water.
- Pour warm water over it and watch it slowly melt freeing up the sea creatures. For older toddlers you can also sprinkle over salt and give them tools to chip the ice away.