These are super easy to make and are great for calming a screaming toddler or to use before bedtime to help relax after a stimulating day.
Age: 6 months +
Skills: Visual calming and encourages sensory play.
What you need:
- Laminating Pouches
- Hair Straighteners
- Baby oil and/or water
- Blue food colouring
- Small Plastic fish or glow in the dark stars.
How to make:
- Cut your laminating pouch to the size you need. I cut one A4 pouch in half.
- Heat your straighteners. Now use these to seal 3 edges of the pouch leaving one open so you can pour in your ingredients.
- Put in your small plastic toys or glow in the dark stars.
- Add water to fill 2/3rds of the pouch or use a mix of 2 parts baby oil to water, still only fill 2/3rds of the pouch. Do not overfill as when you come to seal the top it will leak and not seal.
- Add a few drops of blue food colouring.
- Seal the opening with your straighteners. If it leaks then you have got baby oil under the seal and you will have to start again.
- Let you baby or toddler squish, squeeze and gaze at the swirling colours. Don’t worry about it bursting, my munchkin has sat on these, poked and even bitten them; as long as you don’t fill them too much they will survive.
Once you get the hang of making these you won’t be able to stop yourself from making many different types. Why not try adding glitter, hair gel, buttons or plastic alphabet letters.